Located adjacent to Malahide Village, the original house, dating from 1912 is set among mature private gardens and framed by large trees. The project involved refurbishing and re-organising the original fabric, supplementing it with additional spaces and connecting the internal and external space providing a contemporary home for a family of 6.
Aligning with the spine wall of the original house, two concrete ring-beams at differing levels emerge from the rear elevation, folding away from each other to frame two distinct areas – a two-storey element housing ancillary accommodation with a timber-clad bedroom over, and a single-storey element housing the new family spaces & functions – cooking, dining & living.
Accoya timber is used for all glazing elements to the new & old areas and for the cladding to the bedroom box. The concrete of the ring-beam repeats as a polished concrete floor and bench internally, and as power-floated concrete landscaped areas externally. All external walls of the new extensions are formed in pale brick, internally and externally allowing the passing shadows of the large trees which overhang the house to ripple along the textured walls internally and externally, from morning to evening. (Text From Architects Website)